PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS FOR THE HOLIDAYS
December 19, 2016
The holidays are a special time for families. But they are also a special time for thieves, where need meets opportunity. So, while the following tips are valuable year-round, they are particularly relevant during the holiday season. Remember, thieves look for easy targets. Don’t be one of them.
• Try to shop with a friend or group of friends. There’s safety in numbers.
• If you must shop at night, park in a well-lit area. Park as close to your destination as possible and always watch your surroundings!
• Park with the front of your car facing out. This makes it harder for someone to sneak up behind you as you get into your car and easier for you to escape.
• Wear flat, comfortable shoes.
• Be aware. Put the phone away when walking to your car. Look around and check out your surroundings.
• When in doubt, play it safe. Ask a security guard to walk you to your car if you are uncomfortable. Trust your instinct if something doesn’t feel right.
• Consider arming yourself. Pepper spray is an effective, non-lethal option.
• When receiving deliveries, ask the driver to leave the package on the front porch. There have been reported cases of homeowners being assaulted and robbed by thieves impersonating delivery drivers.
• Install security cameras. The technology has improved and the prices have come down. Many can even be set up to send an alert to your smart phone when they detect motion.
• Don’t put large displays of Christmas gifts in view of your windows.
• Always turn off the holiday lights when you leave your home unattended or go to bed.
• Blow out all candles before bed or if you leave your home. Never leave a lit candle unattended. Use battery operated candles as a safe alternative.
Please have a safe and happy holiday season! Warmest wishes from your friends at Sandcastle Homes!Tags: Hoilday Safety Tips, Houston, Houston Real Estate, new construction, Sandcastle Homes, winter safety tips
This post was written by Sandcastle Homes