How to Help Houston Post Hurricane Harvey
September 4, 2017
Disasters and tragedies tend to bring out the best of humanity. From before Hurricane Harvey even made landfall to now, we have heard countless accounts of families, friends, neighbors, and strangers helping each other out.
In the immediate wake of the storm, people from around the state, country and world have even stepped up to help while others have asked what they can do. They’ve donated time, money, clothing, shelter, non-perishable food items and so much more. And though this help and support is greatly appreciated, it is important to stay engaged to help Houston post Harvey since there may be long-term devastation and cleanup will take months if not years.
You can offer long-term support by:
- Adopting a family that you can help support for several months to come. You can send supplies, bring them meals, give them non-perishable food items and clothes.
- Calling a family member, colleague, or friend who has been affected can give them much needed love and support during their time of need. Be a listening and friendly ear while they recover.
- Continue to give non-perishable food items, toiletries, clothing, toys, and other supplies that will be needed long-term.
- Donate blood, especially if you have an O positive or O negative blood type.
- Helping with the cleanup not only by rolling up your sleeves but also providing or donating to organizations cleaning supplies, construction tools, construction supplies, etc.
- Making a financial donation or connect with a group you trust that is vested in the cleanup and recovery such as:
- Cajun Navy: https://www.facebook.com/LaCajunNavy/
- Catholic Charities of USA: https://app.mobilecause.com/vf/CCUSADISASTER
- Coastal Bend Disaster Recovery Group: http://www.cbvc.org/agency/detail/?agency_id=47181
- org https://www.donorschoose.org/hurricane-harvey
- Feeding Texas: https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/feeding-texas
- Greater Houston Community Foundation: https://ghcf.org/hurricane-relief/
- Houston Food Bank: http://www.houstonfoodbank.org/
- Houston Humane Society: http://www.houstonhumane.org/
- Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund (set up by Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner): https://ghcf.org/
- Texas Diaper Bank: http://www.texasdiaperbank.org/
- The SPCA of Texas: https://spca.org/give
- United Way of Greater Houston: http://www.unitedwayhouston.org/flood
- Volunteer Houston: http://volunteerhouston.org/?_ga=2.17641337.196475371.1503948955-401253986.1503948955
Sandcastle Houston continues to offer our thoughts and support to those affected by this storm. As a community we are grateful for all those who have helped in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Harvey and those who will help Houston post Harvey. As we start to rebuild what has been lost remember, we are resilient, we are Texas Proud!Tags: new homes for sale houston tx, new homes Inner Loop Houston
This post was written by Sandcastle Homes